There are 3 trekking routes to Manimahesh Lake but the one starting from Hadsar village is the most popular and offers basic tourist facilities along the way. Hadsar village can be reached from Pathankot via Chamba and Bharmour. The other two routes (one from Kugti village and another from Kangra valley) get open for few months during summers and generally taken by pilgrims from Himachal during Yatra season.
Most popular Route is : Pathankot – Banikhet – Chamba – Bharmour – Hadsar (203 km)
Ways of Transport are:
By Road :
- There are frequent buses (once in an hour) from Pathankot to Banikhet (76 km, 2 hours 30 minutes) during day time from HRTC Bus Stand Pathankot and also few Buses from Pathankot Bus stand (Maharana Pratap ISBT). The first bus starts at 2:30 AM from HRTC Bus Stand Pathankot and 7:00 AM morning from Pathankot bus stand. Most of the buses going towards Dalhousie will drop you. There are few direct buses to Chamba and one direct bus to Bharmour from Pathankot.
- There are buses (once in an hour) from Banikhet to Chamba during day time (45 km, 2 hours, 45 INR).
- There are few buses (once in 2 hour) from Chamba to Bharmour (68 km, 70 INR, 3 hours).
- Few buses (2 in a day) and shared jeeps (Depending upon tourists) ply between Bharmour to Hadsar (13 km, 30 minutes, 20/30 INR). It is very difficult to catch a ride between from to Hadsar during non-Yatra season. Private taxi will cost you around more than 250 INR.
- In most of the routes, Public transport (Buses) stops after 6:00 PM and start at 8:00 AM morning.
- During Yatra season, there are special buses, Jeeps till Hadsar and even you can get a helicopter (App. 7500 INR) from Bharmour to Gauri Kund (1.5 Km short from Manimahesh Lake).
By Train :
Nearest Railway Station is Pathankot (Punjab). Pathankot has two railway stations – Pathankot Railway Station and Pathankot Cantt (Chakki Bank). Tourist can come to Pathankot and from here, can opt for bus services or cab services, available to reach Chamba / Bharmour. From Delhi you can take a train upto Pathankot. From Pathankot you can take a bus to Chamba and then follow the same route described above. From Pathankot, it is an estimated 7-8 hours drive to Bharmour via Chamba. Bharmour is the town nearest to Manimahesh where you can find proper accommodation for the night.
By Air :
Nearest airport is at Gaggal in Kangra, located at the distance of 180 KM from Chamba. Flights are easily available from all the major cities, like Delhi and Chandigarh. Once dropped at Kangra, tourists can always board the buses. Taxis are also easily available.